Saturday, May 25, 2019

The Virtue Club



It takes Patience to hand feed a chipmunk.

Last September, I was inspired by an article in the Star Tribune, about virtue. I saved the article, intending to create a post here. But, spending time blogging at TCOTC is not a good use of my time - rest areas in Death Valley get more visits than this particular blog. Still, I never forgot the people from Faribault, who created a community wide project focused on living your best life. I wanted to spread the timely and important message, so I finally picked seven virtues to highlight here.

Sometimes, I'll attract a new follower on instagram that posts inspirational quotes and uplifting messages. Isn't that nice? Turns out, they 're just like everyone else, only in it to grow their account. They unfollow in two days just like all the other flawed individuals. The irony breaks my heart. Integrity is a virtue. I wish there was more of it on instagram. 

Hopefully, if you've read this far, you're wondering what other virtues you've misplaced. Well, worry no more. The kind people of Faribault have made it easy for you: they created reflection cards Visit their website to view all the wise ways to make a difference. Here are the rest of my picks...


Creativity 

"You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have." Maya Angeleou

Tact

I received a rejection from a literary agent last week. Not exactly good news, but, at the end of the email, the agent said: "Keep your chin up and keep swinging!" 

I thought, O.K. I will!

 Thank you kind and tactful agent lady for the great advice. Although, I prefer the mantra of the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: "Tit's up!" 

Purposefulness

I've written 50,000 new words on the virtual pages of my next novel: The Levitation Game. Hooray!

Friendliness

Yesterday, I was reading You before Me at lake Harriet. I was completely absorbed in the book, until a row of loud and rascally children lined up on the sidewalk in front of me. Some of them even piled on to the bench I was sitting on. All of a sudden, reading was impossible. It was cute, but I wondered: Hmmm, how long will this chain of little legs hover around me like a fast moving stream? Not long. The classroom ran off like a twisty kite string. But, as the kids ran by, one said: "Hello!" as he breezed past me. 

Ha! So cute. There's always an out-going, friendly kid in the bunch. (I was the shy one)

What's your favorite virtue? Be sure to spread the message by sharing this blog post or visiting The Virtue Project 

I think it's important.

"We'd never know how high we are, till we are called to rise; and then, if we are true to plan, our statures touch the sky"
- Emily Dickinson

Have a meaningful Memorial Day.


3 comments:

betty-NZ said...

My favorite is integrity, I think, as it include respect, as far as I'm concerned.

As for your blog....I I think you have to blog for yourself--when you want and about what you want; otherwise, it turns into a chore and you make yourself crazy trying to please everybody.

The numbers are nice and they are more like to be permanent when you join like-minded linkups. Most of us will never be famous for our blogs but I think the few faithful followers I have are special :)

Stevenson Q said...

Oh Sharon! I love your post! My favorite was about the virtue of Friendship and that one kid who managed to give you a hello :) I think I'm that kind of kid (during those days HAHA)

I believe that Friendliness is also my virtue. I am a person who always wants the best for everybody, not just for me. And if I can touch them in my very simple ways, I would do that to keep their heads up to life!

Stevenson

Marja said...

Great post Love the reply from your litera agent "Keep your chin up and keep swinging" Very nice of him.
My favourite virtue is wisdom and the second one courage