Saturday, July 9, 2016

Sedona


Cathedral Rock

I was so energized by our recent trip to Sedona, Arizona. The land of towering red rock vistas seemingly dissolving in front of your eyes. The rugged, iron tinged landscape was breathtaking. There was one caveat though, there weren't any fireworks plugged into the sky like a classic light bright toy on July 4th. But there was dazzling color. Lots of it. The red rock is a blaze of burnt orange, gold and chalky brown. And below the rock, vortexes sizzle with mysterious energy. The desert location is other worldly. Look close and you'll discover delicate blooms, scampering lizards and tiny thorns. Everything has an edge. It could hurt you...just like the barbed wire that symbolizes my story.




One of the central characters in my novel The Chorus of the Crows is named Sedona. And the location also plays a starring role. That's what led us there. And I made so many decisions that will affect my novel based on my experiences there. 

We explored the area thoroughly. It was hard, back breaking book research. But somebody had to climb it! Bell Rock, Fay Canyon and the inspirational Chapel of the Holy Cross all played a roll. The chapel is an architectural marvel built into the red rock. It was an important stop. 




Because a prayer couldn't hurt...

I sat in three separate places, visualizing my thoughts transferred to the page like a spiraling vortex. Then I visualized the vortex spinning into the hands of eager, happy readers. Multiplying, spreading and enchanting the minds like dominoes in motion. Will it help? It can't hurt!

Visit My 3rd Eye for a quick photographic tour of the best of Sedona.

18 comments:

Latane Barton said...

I can't wait to find out what happens in The Chorus of Crows!!

Jeanna said...

Everything has and edge is a great way to put it. I spent time in Texas and New Mexico desserts and felt like the places were alive with things I didn't want to meet.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I've enjoyed all my visits to Sedona, AZ. It is easy to see why it is considered a spiritual place. I live on the front range in Colorado among beautiful red rocks that also always amaze me with their beauty and history.

Out And About Global said...

Love Sedona! such a beautiful city!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Love the images of Arizona, desert is beautiful

Klara said...

I want so much to visit desert one day. they really look so amazing.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

The night sky must've been amazing out there. No doubt far better than the snap, crackle, pop of fireworks. :-)

CountryMouse said...

What an amazing landscape and certainly an interesting one for a story.

betty-NZ said...

I've heard it was a lovely area and your photos prove it. How awesome to have a little chapel there, too.

Ruth said...

Lovely photos! Remind me why I like Sedona so much. Did you visit other towns in the area?

DJan said...

That church built into the rock is amazing! Thanks for the great pictures of Sedona. :-)

EricaSta said...

It's fine to meet other bloggers via WednesdayAroundTheWorld... Very interesting on the written stories!
Read about Sedona. 🤗

handmade by amalia said...

Looks like a wonderful place to be quiet and think.
Amalia
xo

Budget Travel Talk said...

I love your Chorus of the Crows photo. It is so clear and cutting. And the colours of the landscape photo are intense.

Lee@A Guide to Northeastern Gardening said...

So glad I just ran across your post. We took a trip to Sedona last year, which I had just posted about on my blog not too long ago. Cathedral Rock is one of the most beautiful and fascinating rock formations I have ever seen and you have captured it beautifully. Thanks for sharing this!

A Colorful World said...

Great little teaser about Sedona! I know it was a huge inspiration for your book. Lovely shots too, Sharon!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to visit Sedona some day. The contrast in the land and vegetation is really pretty.

Lisa @ Life Thru the Lens

Photo(Geo)grapher said...

Wow! What a beautiful and majestic place and fantastic photography!