Thursday, December 22, 2016

Awestruck

awe
noun
  1. 1.
    a feeling of reverential respect mixed with fear or wonder.


Did you know that feeling awe may be the secret to health and happiness? 

"...new studies show that it's a dramatic feeling with the power to inspire, heal, change our thinking and bring people together."  Paula Spencer Scott, Parade


We've all felt it. 



That feeling of being struck dumb by something wonderful. We've all experienced, at one time or another, that compelling emotion of being paralyzed by something so beautiful, it tickles our very soul. Now scientists are discovering that this crave worthy emotion is a part of being human that we all need - not just crave.



5 times I was struck dumb:



1)  Watching my hero, my beloved Kahlesi, being rescued by Drogen, her dragon. It may not be real, but it was the most compelling drama I've ever witnessed on television - cable at its finest. Daenerys flies off, for the first time - flaxen hair flying - to safety. I love Game of Thrones! And the books are even better. George R.R. Martin is a genius.


Drogen and Daenerys

2)  Seeing my first cone shaped volcano in Costa Rica, burping fire. Nicaragua has 19 volcanoes and Guatemala has 37. Holy cow! They are a sight to see. 

Volcan Arenal in Costa Rica 

3) Riding the Transformers ride at Universal studios. The combination of 4-d is thrilling! And insanely real. Insider tip: Take advantage of the single rider line.

Transformers, Universal

4) My fist zipline - a whopper in Fortuna, Costa Rica. We flew 600 feet in the air. Gulp. And one line was a mile across. Yikes! It was like wobbling on the outside of a tiny (and out of control) mountain gondola in a James Bond movie, waiting to rescue a monkey. 

Sky Adventures in Fortuna, Costa Rica


5) Visiting the Mayan ruins of Xunantunich in Belize. We took an ancient (it sure seemed that way) ferry - pushed by a fellow with a big stick - across a wide jungle river. Then we stepped out into the past - awestruck by the architecture. There's nothing better than following the footsteps of old ghosts in a city that was covered with jungle and all but forgotten. 

Xunantunich, San Ignacio




Bring on the awe! 



7 comments:

Budget Travel Talk said...

That is an awe-inspiring collection of experiences. Ive yet to see a Mayan ruin - but I believe you.

DJan said...

I've experienced awe many times in my long life. But the one that jumped out when I read this post was when I saw the terra cotta soldiers in Xian, China. :-)

Unknown said...

Great year! I've been to the Mayan ruins in Chitzen Itza, Mexico. That was when you could still climb the pyramid. Stunning views from the top. Thanks for linking up this week. #TPThursday

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I am amazed and fascinated by so many things in life. Either my boredom threshold is abnormally high or my awe-threshold is abnormally low -- there is always something new to see, discover, read, watch .... I'm sure 2017 will be no different.

Linda Hensley said...

It's been too long since I've been dumb struck in awe. I think I'll need to follow your example and have more adventures in 2017. Wishing you a spectacular New Year!!

A Colorful World said...

I'm going to have to do a Five Moments of Awe post one of these weeks! What a cool post! Just off the top of my head...watching my daughter emerge into the world; watching my grandson emerge into the world; hiking down into the Grand Canyon (more than just a moment, and I did this twice)--becoming ONE with that incredible place; seeing Monument Valley; landing as dawn broke at Shannon Airport in Ireland; watching baby hummingbirds hatch and later fledge on my back porch; receiving my weaving loom one Christmas, a huge surprise from my wonderful husband...hmmm, I bet I could come up with a dozen more! :-)

Linda Hensley said...

I'm going to have to think about my life and make my own list since I can't copy yours. There was a beautiful spot in Canada looking over Lake Superior... Thanks for the inspiration!